The dish is named after the main ingredients which the cows are “mata” (eyes) and “utok” (brain). Matok is an Ilonggo original exotic soup.
- Cow’s head, innards, and bones
- Annatto oil
- Sliced Spring Onions
- Clean the cow’s head, innards, and meat
- Boil the cow’s head, innards, and meat.
- Season with Annatto oil, salt, and pepper
- Wait till the meat of the cow’s head becomes tender.
- If the meat is already tender, take out the cow’s head, break the skull separate the brains and the eyes.
- Slice the brain, eyes, and meat. Set aside separately.
- To serve, place equal portions of the cow’s brain, eyes, and meat in a bowl.
- Add soup and garnish with spring onions.
Try this exotic soup, “MaTok”, that is “patok na patok” (popular).
Featured Image Source: Kapuso Mo Jessica Soho